Sonntag, 16. November 2008

The Election and the Media: A Shame Game

Like most folks, I got a lot of emails last week wondering whether I was happy or upset about the Obama victory. To which I always answer: if my wife doesn’t know how I vote, know one else will, either.

I will say, though, that I was really moved by the classy way both candidates handled themselves in their acceptance and concession speeches last week. Scoreboard believes that brought the country together in just the right way.

By contrast, the way the mainstream media has handled itself in this election cycle was nothing short of disgraceful.

Never in my lifetime have I seen such a biased press corps. It wasn’t enough that Obama had $600 million in campaign funds. He also had practically every major media outlet to spin practically everything in his favor. Some of it was visual, like the glowing, air-brushed pictures of Obama contrasted with the warts-and-all close-ups of Palin and McCain. The ultimate was New York Magazine’s cover anointing Obama as president a week before the election.

Then there was the broadcast media. I have an acquaintance at National Public Radio who asked me if FOX was biased in favor of McCain. I told her that among my coworkers it was about 50-50. Then I turned it around and asked her to name just one NPR staffer who was voting for McCain. She couldn't. Not one.

And don't get me started on TV coverage.

So how will we score the Obama presidency here at Scoreboard? We'll keep it simple: we like what works, and we don't like what doesn't work. And we'll try to be as honest as we can about it. And as always, we'll need your help in keeping us honest.


Cavuto: McCain’s Got the Courage, Not the Conviction
Voting time isn’t too costly for employers
Cavuto: Wearing Blinders to the Voting Booth
Nashville-based group leads charge to reform health care